Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The compulsion to please

 
Co-dependency can be tricky. I used to see myself as this kind, caring person who loved being helpful. There is truth to that. But I also see what a people-pleaser I am. I want everyone to be happy.

At one time, it was my mission in life. Yikes!!!
 
I'm grateful that today I have an understanding about why I made it my mission. At the root of this is fear. As a child, the only survival tool I had in a home where there was physical and emotional abuse, was to be a good girl...a people-pleaser. Of course, by the time I understood what my core issue was, the root was already deeply embedded.

Today I am still chopping away at the root...

As a child, my choices were limited, but as an adult, the only person's happiness I am responsible for is me. Honestly, it still feels a bit selfish to say that, but I know it's true.
 
*****