Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Improving self-esteem


You are my sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
 

I challenge anyone who is trying to avoid the shame pool, to dive in head first. What is shame? Shame is the voice that threatens our very right to feel good about our existence.
 
What are some of the symptoms of shame? Prideful-ness, low self-esteem, arrogance, hypersensitivity, insensitive to others, self-centeredness, belittling oneself, boastful, guilt ridden, issues with perfectionism, approval seeking, self-reliant, difficult to trust others, jealousy, superiority, rigid thinking, avoidance of feelings, fear of making mistakes...
 
Shame is not something we can afford to ignore. Not only do we carry it, but as hard we try not to, we will pass it to our children. My parents carried shame. As a little girl, I began to absorb it before I even understood what it was. It took 40+ years of feeling bad about myself to realize that the seed of shame planted in early childhood, affected every thought and decision I ever made. 

Don't settle for living in the problem. There is a solution. Create something better for your future and for your children.
 
****