Saturday, April 4, 2015

Hidden gifts

One of my new greeting cards...
sweet and glittery
 
Blog post from 2012 - Until six years ago, I’d held a belief that I couldn’t draw. Although I had enjoyed doing various creative projects, I had never attempted sketching. One day I sat down with a pencil, paper and my daughter’s elementary school drawing. I tried copying what she had done with some success. That day something magical began to unfold. I discovered an artist deep within me. I started playing with paints, markers and anything else I could get my hands on.
 
Slowly my drawings improved. Then one day a voice inside me said, “you’re going to design greeting cards.” My reply to this internal voice was, “how is that possible?” Today my cards are in the finest gift stores in the area. I could never have imagined this during that first rough drawing. I still shake my head. All these years later it still feels brand new, dream-like & exciting. No one knows one’s true potential until one takes risks and tries new things. I am thankful for that one moment when I looked at my daughter’s drawing and said to myself, “I wonder if I could do that?”
 
*****